Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/soccerscene/www/test/ss_gen/matchdetails.php on line 15
Statistics: Under 21 [Powered by tplSoccerStats]
Soccer Scene

Change:  Move to:
25.04.2000 at 17:00 Station Road, Newbridge Attendance:
Under 21 1 - 2 Greece
Referee: K Parry Wales Friendly / PROG X2-match

Richie Baker (90)
Opening squads
Dean Delaney
Brian Mc Govern
Clive Delaney
Thomas Heary
Richie Partridge
Graham Barrett
Ger Crossley
Colin Healy
Peter Murphy
Dave Freeman
Dave Billington
John Mc Grath
Ciaran Martyn
Michael Reddy
Conor O Grady
Richie Baker
John Mc Grath -> Peter Murphy (46)
Richie Baker -> Dave Freeman (46)
Michael Reddy -> Graham Barrett (64)
Ciaran Martyn -> Dave Billington (75)
Conor O Grady -> Richie Partridge (75)
Taralidis for Venetis 71 mins,
Kouloucheris for Seitaridis 80 mins,
Kazantzis for Vakouftsis 85 mins,
Salpigidis for Charisteas 89 mins.
Yellow cards
None. None
Red cards
None. None
Other statistics
0 Shots 0
0 Shots on goal 0
0 Offsides 0
0 Corner kicks 0
0 Free kicks 0
0 Penalties 0
Match report | Preview

Pictures from the match
Ireland 1 Greece 2

New Republic of Ireland u21 boss Don Givens was left scratching his head last night after his team lost 2-1 to Greece in Newbridge, Co. Kildare.

When Givens took over the job from Ian Evans he promised that he would change things with the u21 team. Their record at international level is probably the worst of all of the Irish teams but Given said things were about to improve.

In his first two games in charge, Givens has led Ireland to two defeats, both at home. He was not helped last night when he lost his captain Barry Quinn to the senior squad but still Ireland were expected to win. Greece did not create much in the game but they did take their chances when they came.

The visitors took the lead in spectacular circumstances in the 57th minute. Venetis threaded the ball through to Charisteas and the forward showed sublime skill to control the ball before firing past Dean Delaney.

Ireland found themselves 2-0 down in the 76th minute when Delaney spilled Vakouftsis shot and Louboutis followed in to score.

Givens started the game with only one Eircom League player on the field but by the end he had five. He introduced UCDs Ciaran Martyn, Sligos Conor O Grady, Waterfords Tim McGrath and Shelbournes Richie Baker.

It was Baker who gave Ireland the chance of a result in the last minute. Conor O Grady hit a powerful drive towards goal which the Greek keeper could only parry. Baker was well positioned to head the ball back towards goal and into the net.

Givens said after the game: "Our back four had never played together before and that did not give us a solid base. They were much more experienced than us but that cannot be the full excuse. We still have to perform."

Ireland: Dean Delaney, Heary, Murphy (McGrath 45), McGovern, Clive Delaney, Crossley, Healy, Billington (Martyn 75), Barrett (Reddy 64), Partridge (O Grady 75), Freeman (Baker 45)
Powered by tplSoccerStats © 2003 TPL Design

Site Design and Hosting by DriverWebDesign.