Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/soccerscene/www/test/ss_gen/matchdetails.php on line 15
Statistics: Under 21 [Powered by tplSoccerStats]
Soccer Scene

Change:  Move to:
15.10.2019 at 15:00 Vķkingsvöllur, Reykjavik Attendance:
Iceland 1 - 0 Under 21
Referee: Dumitru Muntean (MDA) European Qualifier-match

Sveinn Aron Gudjohnsen 29 mins, None.
Opening squads
Gunnarsson (GK),
Porsteinsson (C),
H. Gunnarsson,
Caoimhin Kelleher
Kameron Ledwidge
Dara O Shea
Conor Masterson
Lee O Connor
Conor Coventry
Zach Elbouzedi
Jayson Molumby
Dan Mandroiu
Michael Obafemi
Adam Idah
Elias Rafn Olafsson (G)
Finnur Tómas Pįlmason
Jonatan Ingi Jonsson
Danķel Hafsteinsson
Brynjolfur Darri Willumsson
Valdimar Žór Ingimundarson
Gudmundur Andri Tryggvason
Žórir Jóhann Helgason
Kolbeinn Thordarson
Gavin Bazunu
Nathan Collins
Liam Scales
Aaron Drinan
Jason Knight
Gavin Kilkenny
Connor Ronan
Simon Power
Jack Taylor
Ingimundarson for Gudjohnson 77 mins,
Hafsteinsson for Poroarson 77 mins,
Palmason for Olafsson 79 mins,
Darri Willumsson for Porteinsson 90+1 mins
Gavin Kilkenny -> Michael Obafemi (75)
Aaron Drinan -> Dan Mandroiu (86)
Yellow cards
Porteinsson 24 mins
Olafsson 33 mins,
Gudjihnsen 41 mins,
Gunnarsson 90+5 mins
Lee O Connor (28)
Lee O Connor (89)
Red cards
None Lee O Connor (89)
Other statistics
0 Shots 0
0 Shots on goal 0
0 Offsides 0
0 Corner kicks 0
0 Free kicks 0
0 Penalties 0
Match report

Pictures from the match
Republic of Ireland U-21s suffered their first defeat of the campaign thanks to Sveinn Aron Gudjohnsen's first-half penalty.

Lee O'Connor was sent off late on for a second bookable offence whilst captain Jayson Molumby picked up a yellow card with both players set to be suspended for the Armenia qualifier in November.

Ireland dominated much of the game and fashioned a number of chances, but couldn't find the break-through. Bohemians' Dan Mandroiu had two 20-yard free-kicks during the first-half, but both went narrowly over the bar.

Kameron Ledwidge made his first start for the U-21s and turned in an impressive performance as his cross found Mandroiu and Michael Obafemi picked the ball up, but his shot was blocked by the keeper in the 22nd minute.

Six minutes later, Iceland were awarded a penalty as Lee O'Connor was harshly deemed to have handled the ball and Gudjohnsen fired home to the give the home side the lead.

Just before the break, Ireland had their best chance of the game as the skipper Molumby won the ball high up the pitch and after he found Adam Idah, Obafemi collected the ball in space but his shot was well saved.

A minute later, Zach Elbouzedi burst down the left and crossed for Idah but his flicked header went narrowly over the bar. The second-half continued to see Ireland push Iceland back as Mandroiu found space on the right and fired across a low ball, looking for Elbouzedi, but the keeper blocked the ball and cleared in the 56th minute.

Ireland fashioned another chance just four minutes later as Molumby's fantastic through-ball found the on-rushing Idah but he fired wide from a tight angle. Iceland, to their credit, defended stoutly as Stephen Kenny brought on Aaron Drinan and Gavin Kilkenny in the final stages and the latter almost found the break-through with eight minutes to go.

Elbouzedi's cross found Kilkenny in space on the left and after he turned inside, his curling effort was well saved. It was Ireland's first defeat of the campaign with games against Armenia and Sweden to come in November.

"We're extremely disappointed with the result. Looking back, the penalty looks extremely harsh and after that, Iceland made it very difficult for us," said U-21 manager Stephen Kenny.

"We had a number of great chances but couldn't find the goal we needed and we've got to pick ourselves up from it. The conditions were very difficult for the players and Iceland defended very well."

Iceland: Gunnarsson (GK), Sampsted, Olafsson (Palmason 80), Hauksson, Pordarson (Hafsteinsson 77), Porsteinsson (C) (Willumsson 90), H. Gunnarsson, Gudjohnson (Ingimundarson 77), Willumsson, Finnsson, Leifsson.

Republic of Ireland: Kelleher (GK), O'Connor, Ledwidge, Masterson, O'Shea, Coventry, Elbouzedi, Molumby (C), Idah, Mandroiu (Drinan 86), Obafemi (Kilkenny 75).

Referee: Dumitru Muntean (MDA)
Powered by tplSoccerStats © 2003 TPL Design

Site Design and Hosting by DriverWebDesign.